Thursday, September 20, 2007

Time in the Saddle

Yipee!! Tomorrow is the first day of fall. I love fall and I took the opportunity to spend some time in the saddle this morning. I took a long ride and enjoyed the beautiful colors in Elm Creek. (www.threeriversparkdistrict.org) I meandered along paths that were shrouded with trees that had a plethora of different color schemes. It was cool and crisp and not many people were out on the paths and trails making it ideal to just cruise the pathways and let my mind wander. I don't know about you, but I talk to myself--yes, out loud too... :) I also spend quite a bit of time talking to God while I'm riding. My mind is rarely ever quiet...constantly thinking, planning, problem-solving, etc. I try not to talk aloud when people are around, as I don't want to frighten them, but that being said, I know that there have been countless times that I have been "caught" talking to myself!

Some days, I just enjoy riding my bike, strictly for the pleasure of riding it. Today was one of those days. I had no agenda; I just wanted to ride. I took in all the smells, sounds, scenery and wonders of God's handiwork. Riding a bike makes you slow down and gives you the opportunity to really see what you whiz by on a daily basis. This week has been a week where I have taken time to slow down and spend time doing the things that are the most important. Spend time with the ones I love. Too often, it's easy to let life pass us by and not really do what we were meant to do--to love and to be loved. I have so enjoyed every moment that I have had to savor the time I have had with God, during my devotions with Him and with my most wonderful boyfriend.

So what does this have to do with Ironman training?? Well, I want to give all I have to my life...to live my life without regrets and without abandon. I don't want to be average. I may be an average age-grouper, but that does not mean that I'm average in my life's pursuits. I have had the opportunity to refocus my life lately and to make sure that my priorities are in the proper order. To that end, I want to give the time that I have to train for Ironman, the respect it's due. In my training, I need to take time to, "just ride, to just spend time in the saddle." I need to make sure that the time in the saddle remains fun and invigorating, not a task and not boring. I need to slow down sometimes and enjoy what I am seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, etc. This is a whole life experience, not isolated to just one area of my life. Life is too short...live, laugh and love!!

3 comments:

J-Man said...

I would like to thank the people at Gear West for selling me a $1250 bike, a $65 helemt, and a $10 water bottle and not telling me how to pump up the tires.

Kevin said...

You have such a great attitude. There is no need to let life pass us by. We live in a world today where success is too often viewed as not failing. You and I may not win our age groups or place on the podium, but we did more on the weekend than most others. As Teddy said,

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Yodie said...

Am proud of you! I know that with God's help you will do this with your head held high.

Also, you are right about your priorities: keep/get them straight. Seek Him first and all the rest will fall into place!