Monday, October 8, 2007

Marathon woes

Well, yesterday was the first time in my short life as an athlete that I was not able to finish a race. It was a bit humbling at first and I was mad and frustrated. As I began to think about the day and the company I had on the SWAG bus, I realized that in three seasons, this was the only race that I was not able to complete. I had veteran marathoners and triathletes on the bus with me who could not finish yesterday. In fact, one gal said that she had complete IM Wisconsin 2006, and this year's TC Marathon was harder than the Ironman! I heard that the bus began picking people up at the 1-mile marker. Fortunately, I did about 8-8.5 miles before the bus "caught" me.

Today, I feel like I ran the whole marathon...My hips hurt and I'm exhausted! I'm glad that I have the day off from work. I don't remember my hips, feet and body aching as much as they do today after half-ironman triathlons. Marathons are a different animal altogether! I have a lot of respect for all the athletes who started, didn't finish and those who started and finished yesterday's race. My thoughts are also with the runner's family, from the Chicago marathon, who died yesterday.

Well, there's always next year, and I think I'll be able to finish it next time! If I can do a triathlon, I'll be able to do a marathon. I'll be faster than the bus next time.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Sounds like it was a hell of time out there. I can't believe that they were picking people up at the one mile mark.

You have a great attitude in dealing with this. We all have bad days for whatever reason. I know you will bounce back and do awesome.

T-Storms said...

Sorry I wasn't out there cheering you on woman. I was in San Diego taking care of family business. Mark was there though and looking for you but I think he was waiting at the 20 mile marker or close to it. He said when he arrived - everyone was walking and the whole time he was there - he indicated he saw very few running.
I agree with Kevin, you'll bounce back and be able to kick butt next time!

T-Storms said...

p.s.
do you think you will really feel like running the TCM after IM MOO?

:-)

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Where have you been?