Wednesday, September 12, 2007

How do I make a weakness into a strength?

I just returned from a one-hour run and I have a question. How do I make my weakness into a strength? Running is definitely my weakness. I don't see much improvement in my ability to run and yet, I look at others with the same trouble and they are succeeding. How do I get to that place? I know that it's not easy, but should it still be this difficult?

In 3 1/2 weeks, I will be doing my first marathon, the Twin Cities Marathon. My goal is to finish. Why am I doing a marathon??? I thought I should do one to mentally prepare myself for the marathon portion of a full Ironman race. I find that I'm enjoying running a little more, but honestly, I would rather be cleaning my bathroom.

Well, obviously, I don't have the answers. I will just keep plodding along and hopefully, I will improve. It's a beautiful day...60s and sunny with a southerly breeze. A perfect autumn day. Leaves are beginning to turn colors on the trees and the nights are getting cooler. Perfect conditions for running! I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other...

5 comments:

Holly said...

YAY! I hope you have great success with this new endeavor. I'll be cheering you on "in spirit." =)

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you every step of the way. You can do it.
Read 1Cor.9:24-27 and Heb.12:1,2.
Love you much,
Texas Mom

jelen said...

Oléé!! Steph that´s great, running is hard .. but when you finish, ummm you feel so full of happyness!!
I´m very proud of you.
love you so much elena

Kevin said...

Steph--
Congrats on your decision to understand an IM. First of all you are very lucky that your boyfriend is supportive. Be sure to make it up to him from time to time. I am still trying to get my wife to understand the importance of triathlon to me.

Now, on to running faster. If you are not already, get involved with an organized group that incorporates speed workouts into their workouts. I have found that working with pure runners helped me out much more. It hurt my ego from time to time, but how many of them can run a 10K after biking 25miles or run a marathon after 112 on the bike? LOL

I hope this helps.

J-Man said...

Steph, I have heard that you can run faster after biking by having the appropriate amount of pressure in your tires. This works during training and the race.
Flat tires=tough run. Think about it.