Thursday, September 13, 2007

Training like an Ironman

Training like an Ironman will be challenging. First off, after the first of the year, I will cut back on my hours at work in order to fit in all my training hours. Secondly, I will need to move in closer. The challenges are many, and here are just a few:
  • Soft housing market, whereby it will be difficult to find a buyer for my house
  • Earning enough money to support my habit(s)--i.e. new tri gear, etc
  • Maintaining the consistency and intensity needed to train adequately for Ironman
  • Maintaining a balance between God, my boyfriend,work,family,friends, and training

Another challenge that I will face is FOOD, glorious food!!! Kirsty Alley, move over!! Jenny Craig is getting a new spokesperson...ME!!! They say that when you're hungry, anything tastes good. Well, when you're training...EVERYTHING tastes great, (except ham)!! I remember racing in Racine, WI this summer, and I ate everything on the run course. They had peanut butter filled preztels and Oreos! Fabulous. Now, in a race situation, eating like that is all fine a good, however, I like to eat like that everyday. I have a particular yen towards chips and salsa or chips and guacamole. Good? I think not.

I know that I not only want to BE a triathlete, I want to LOOK like one too. Therein lies the greatest challenge of all...for me. I would love to think that I'm "big-boned" and tall, but the fact is, I'm not. I may be taller than the average female bear, but not that much taller. Therefore, I will need to drastically change how, when and what I eat. I know that will take committment and most of all time.

I see that if I can get all of these elements to fall in place, I will be successful and I will do well. This is going to be a great year!

I believe that God is interested in the little things in my life and this gives me great comfort. He knows what I need to accomplish my goals. Isaiah 59:1 states, "Look! Listen! God's arm is not amputated--He can still save. God's ears are not stopped up--He can still hear you." That's pretty cool.

2 comments:

J-Man said...

I was just thinking, if God's arm really was amputated, don't you think he could grow it back? C'mon, it is God.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.